When Mid-Century enthusiasts purchased the original 1800 home, it had long been forgotten and was nearly re-claimed by the native vegetation of an adjacent creek. The existing house was crammed against the far property line. Low ceilings and deep overhangs made for a relentlessly dark interior.
Vegetation was thinned and pushed back to the creek bank establishing an “edge of wild”, demarcating the line between native and manicured landscape.
The existing house was completely reconfigured. The original 8ft ceilings are dramatically contrasted by the new central volume. Its roof, floating above continuous clerestory windows, provides soft balanced daylight while framing panoramic oak canopy views. (source)